Thursday, August 13, 2009

Summer holiday photos - part 1

Ok, here we go...

I think this first selection may as well be from the slate mine we visited.


I think this was my favourite part of the museum. In theory, setting up a display of mannequins to show how the slate was worked is a perfectly good idea. In this case, though, I suspect that their budget was severely lacking. See for yourself the style of dummies and clothing which they found to represent these tough Welsh slate workers.

GSW 1

This one has strangely long arms
GSW 2

and I don't think this one is a miner at all. I think he's a Russian spy.
GSW 3

GSW 4

GSW 5


My brother Dave, being a miner.

Miner Dave

This sign was in the ladies' toilets, beside an overly complicated water tank/tap system. It's so wonderfully poetic!

Toilet sign


While I'm here I'll post photos from Beddgelert as well. It's very touristy, but I guess that's what happens when a place is so picturesque!

Beddgelert 1

Beddgelert 2

Beddgelert 3


I'll put up another photo post in the next day or so.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 5:28 am, Blogger Shawna said...

OMG,I want to go there! *starts plotting a visit*

You're right, it is a gorgeous place. Looks like you guys had fun. :)

 
At 4:51 pm, Blogger Maegan said...

They're so lovely!! I think the mannequins were funny...but it makes you wonder, did someone spend hours dressing them up with love & care...and really thinks they are fabulous works of hisotry?? Haha...

 
At 9:45 pm, Blogger Acci said...

Perhaps those mannequins really do show what the miners looked like. Maybe slate miners suffered from weird and little-known mining ailments and genetic disorders.

 
At 3:40 am, Blogger Smerk said...

Heh...for some strange reason, the first mannequin reminds me a lot of Acci...

 
At 3:54 am, Blogger Nettie said...

Cute! Though did you keep expecting the mannequins to come alive a'la Dr Who? lol

Oh and I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Dave with long hair, it's always been shaved. He looks scarily like Huw!

 
At 3:54 am, Blogger Nettie said...

Cute! Though did you keep expecting the mannequins to come alive a'la Dr Who? lol

Oh and I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Dave with long hair, it's always been shaved. He looks scarily like Huw!

 
At 2:27 am, Blogger Acci said...

*plans to grow his moustache out extra long and bushy and bleach it to a light brown just for Smerk*

 
At 9:01 am, Blogger Nettie said...

Hmmmm it seems for some odd reason my last comment posted twice.

I guess blogger deemed it mighty important :-D

 
At 3:28 am, Blogger Acci said...

You're just worth listening to twice, Nettie. First to hear your words, then to listen to your exotic lilting Aussie accent.

;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home