Friday, April 27, 2007

Lizardylizardylizardy!

This morning, while I was walking down to work from my parents' house, I found a dead lizard. Being me, I thought it was really interesting, and I decided to take it home so that I could look it up in one of my nature books and find out what sort of lizard it was. I needed something to carry it in, so I put it in an empty cigarette packet that was in my pocket.
I forgot about it after that, until I went to look for a cigarette and pulled out the empty packet by mistake. I remembered that I'd put it in there, and tipped it out to show Chris. At this point, it started crawling around my hand...
That's right, I'm a lizard-napper!
I felt so guilty, and kept apologising to the poor little thing. It seemed healthy enough, although really pissed off! (Well, you would be, wouldn't you?)
I did a bit of online research, and found some photos here. The fourth picture down is most similar to how mine looked, but since adult Common Lizards grow to between 10 and 16 centimetres long, and mine was only 7cm, I think it was a baby. Apparently, young ones are very dark in colour. It had an orangey-yellow underside with black spots, so it's a boy.

Here he is...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


We decided that if we kept it, it would die, and I felt bad enough about taking it anyway, so we took it down to the stream near here, and tucked it safely down on the bank. I hope it'll be ok.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 12:51 am, Blogger Nettie said...

Awww, how cute!
Maybe he was just playing dead because he's scared of women with purple hair!

Is your hair still purple by the way? It's been a little bit since I've seen it in your film, you may have changed it since then!

 
At 4:52 am, Blogger Tah said...

Great. Now the lizard has lung cancer. ;)

I'm sure it will be fine. Don't worry about it. Is it missing its front foot, or is that just an illusion from the camera angle?

 
At 10:29 am, Blogger LaMa said...

As you found it in the morning: lizards are very sluggish when cold, being cold-blooded animals. It probably liked the warmth of your pocket.

 
At 1:09 pm, Blogger Mouse said...

Tah, all its feet are there, it's just the way it's holding that one. It's not easy to get a teeny little lizard to pose for photos.

All last night I was saying 'I'll have poisoned it with nicotine!' to Chris.

 
At 9:37 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see a better image of him.
:-)

And I'm sure he'll be fine down by the stream.

 
At 4:21 pm, Blogger oppiejoe said...

yeah... fine by the stream until the nicotine buzz wears off... then he's gonna be really ornery!

 
At 2:25 pm, Blogger MadCarlotta said...

Aw, he's cute! I'm sure he'll be just fine :)

True story: When I was little, maybe 7 or 8 or somewhere around there, I had really long thick hair. My hair is very fine and tends to snarl easily and since I was a little thing, I guess I wasn't brushing it well enough because I developed a big mat on the underside on the nape of my neck.

When my mother discovered this, she tried to brush it out, only to discover a dead lizard tangled in it. A really dead lizard. I have no idea how it got there, but Florida is crawling with the little things and there were tons of bushes and stuff that we'd crawl through so I'm assuming it somehow got tangled in my hair that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home