Thursday, April 12, 2007

Books I Bought (and some I borrowed...)

The books that I've most enjoyed reading recently (in the last several years, actually) are the 'Callahan' series by Spider Robinson.

The series consists of:

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Time Travelers Strictly Cash
Callahan's Secret
Callahan's Lady
Lady Slings the Booze
The Callahan Touch
Callahan's Legacy
Callahan's Key
Callahan's Con

I love these books! As soon as I was a little way into the first one, I was looking forward to reading some more - it's like knowing that soon you get to meet up with some old friends. I really hope that he writes more in this series, and that I can get my own copies.
Oh, and *hugs* to Colin for introducing me to this series!

As soon as I could, I went out browsing charity shops hoping to find some of these books. I didn't find any, but I did find Telempath. It's not part of the Callahan series, but very good nonetheless.

I also borrowed Night Of Power. It's very different from his other books, but since I like his writing style, it was ok.
Spider Robinson often refers to other writers who have been a big influence on him, and someone frequently mentioned is Robert A. Heinlein. I've never read any of his work, but I thought that it would probably be worth taking a look.
While I was at the charity shops, I found three of his:

Space Cadet
Revolt In 2100
Podkayne Of Mars

I've borrowed a copy of Variable Star too, a collaboration between Robert A. Heinlein and Spider Robinson.

Ok, so on to the other books I've bought.

Other sci-fi...

Isaac Asimov - I, Robot
Ray Bradbury - The Small Assassin ( a book of short horror-ish stories)
James Patterson - Maximum Ride
Doctor Who books -
The Price Of Paradise
The Art Of Destruction
The Nightmare Of Black Island
William Nicholson - Slaves Of The Mastery and
Firesong
(these are the second and third parts of a children's fantasy trilogy)

Crime fiction -

Patricia Cornwell - At Risk I was disappointed by this one.
John Harvey - Ash & Bone This was ok.
Kathy Reichs - Break No Bones I always like her books.
Ian Rankin, 'Rebus' books
Fleshmarket Close
A Good Hanging
Dead Souls I'm really glad I got into reading these.

Non-fiction -

Tony Hawks - One Hit Wonderland and Playing The Moldovans At Tennis He's a funny man!
Torey Hayden - Beautiful Child She works with children who have psychological or emotional problems. Her books are very interesting.
Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit? I love this book. It's one huge rant about a lot of the things that annoy me! I need to get the second one...
March Hares And Monkey's Uncles This is a book all about the origins of some of the funny little phrases people use.

So. There we go. You now know more about the soon-to-be contents of my bookshelves than you ever thought possible!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:59 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Oooh, the Callahan series looks awesome! I'll have to try and track down a copy of the first book and see how I go.

 
At 6:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I, Robot is good. . .it has some of Asimov's earliest stories in it, and is the starting point for several of his other series.

I think I've read all of Heinlein's books, too. Space Cadet and Podkayne of Mars are really considered young peoples' books, but are still interesting. Plus, the latter one has two different versions with completely different endings. I wonder which yours will turn out to be. . .

The rest of those books I don't think I've read, although I may have the Bradbury stories in other collections. Maybe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home