Friday, October 13, 2006

Not so much a magpie than a squirrel

This, right now, is my favourite time of year. I like the summer because I can wear fewer layers of clothing, and winter when it's snowy, but this particular stage of autumn (or 'fall' for all you foreigners) is beautiful.

I love the pinkish-grey light that overlays everything just after the sun sets...
the slight chill in the air that makes me think of snuggling up under a fleecy throw with a good book...
seeing the leaves change colour, and the way that different types of trees go different colours...
watching the fallen leaves drift on the canal and the loch, on a day when the air is almost completely still...
the smell of damp, trampled leaves and grass, and the frosty crunch underfoot in the mornings...

I always start hoarding at this time of year. Even though I know that I don't really need to stock up on supplies for the winter, I love the feeling of satisfaction that I get from filling the cupboards with tins of soup, baked beans and other comfort foods. I also get rather excited about 3-for-2 offers on other things I use, and on things I don't use, to be honest. I even spent a while this morning collecting conkers to dry and scatter round the house, as their scent repels moths, and that was the most fun I've had for ages.
I suppose it isn't really all that long since we did have to lay in supplies for the winter, so I'm going to blame all this on instinct - if I was a squirrel, I'd be behaving perfectly rationally.

5 Comments:

At 10:20 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!

 
At 2:58 am, Blogger Nettie said...

I'm a foreinger and I call it autumn :-P

Snuggling up with a good book sound like a great idea. Do you want some company?

 
At 3:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...snuggling up with a good book...will tea be included in the equation? :)

 
At 3:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm. . .snuggling up with a good book, and snuggling up with some tea. . .will all you hot girls be in the equation, too? ;)

And I always stockpile in the Autumn, too. I think it's at least partly habit from my childhood, when the only vegetables or fruit I could have were whatever I managed to gather together and preserve. I've got all sorts of vegetables and herbs and things from my garden that I'm drying, and I've got jars of preserved vegetables as well.

And yes, Madmouse, you are indeed quite squirrelly. Assuming that squirrels sometimes came in shades of shocking bright pinks.

 
At 7:28 pm, Blogger Amy said...

"Assuming that squirrels sometimes came in shades of shocking bright pinks. "

Lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home